In recent times, drought has been the protagonist of a problem that requires an urgent solution. Although it rained heavily in recent months, the water fall is not enough to alleviate the situation. Not only were crops affected, such as olives and cereals, but drinking water became a scarce commodity in Spain. The government has a good plan to get out of this situation, digitize water. Although it is a million-dollar investment, it will be a tool to fight against drought.
The digitalization of water consists of using digital and information technologies that improve efficiency and quality in relation to water. The sustainability of the service in areas such as collection, treatment, distribution and reuse will be a reality.
The digitalization of water requires the application of advanced technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, the Internet of Things and Big Data.
Requirements to implement the operation
- Sensors and monitoring: its installation will allow real-time data on flow, pressure and other parameters. There will be communication networks stored in management and analysis platforms. With the collection of your data there will be better information that will simplify decision making and better management of resources. Artificial Intelligence and Big Data are powerful tools for analyzing this data.
- Automation: Automation and control over the operation of piping systems is essential.
- System integration: It is essential that all systems are integrated into a single platform so that management can be carried out successfully.
- Have modeling and simulation systems: They will allow, through predictive analysis, to know what to do in situations such as greater demand for water or climate change and drought.
- Stake: Taking into account the opinion of the public is also an excellent tool. It also allows you to create awareness.
- Formation and development: training staff in digital technologies is also essential. It allows knowledge and innovation in resource management.
- Regulation and assuming public policies: The task is not only the government’s, but companies, non-governmental organizations and others must be involved. The adoption of measures to care for water and care for its sustainability concerns us all.
Digitizing water provides multiple benefits
The digitalization of water management will bring many benefits, such as reducing water loss. The sensors will report on these types of difficulties that lead to the waste of millions of liters per year. Other sensors will be responsible for reporting the quality and drinkability of the water.
In addition, it will save energy both in the collection, as well as in the distribution and treatment of water resources.