How Google combats “spam content” in search queries

Spam is a type of content that is of no use to the user. Although it is often used to refer to spam, websites and blogs can also cause spam. In that case we would talk about it Content of no real value to the users as they were created to artificially position a webpage or to promote a product in the wrong way.

Google combats spam so that 99% of the search results that reach the user are free of poor quality content.

With that in mind, Google has spent years perfecting its algorithms and rolling out SEO positioning improvements to fight against these types of websites that try to fool people. To this end, the Google Search team created its own Artificial Intelligence (AI) that independently fights against spam and is so effective that it does able to spot new trends in spam and block them.

Google stated that this AI was able to identify websites with “scraped” content, i.e. content that was automatically copied or generated without human supervision, with an accuracy of 80%. At the same time, websites hacked by spammers could be identified with an accuracy of 50%.

Google will find out more than 40,000 pages every day with content classified as spam. To do this, they first use Google Spider, automatic bots that automatically crawl the websites and their content. The information from the XML sitemaps is then used in the search console. This is where Google’s spam detection AI comes in as it can detect when a hacker is using Google Search Console to request manual indexing of a spam page that has been forcibly entered on a hacked website.

The next filter is the systems that analyze the content that is displayed in the SERPs. When searching, Google analyzes the entire content of the web pages displayed. If any of them contain spam indicators, it will be blocked. This is how the information is Update with every search and Google leaves spam pages out of its results.

The result is that very few spam pages “slide” into the final content that the user has access to. With this in mind, Google ensures that 99% of searches are completely spam free. For the remaining 1%, Google’s own team is taking manual action to fix an issue with these characteristics. The graphic below shows how Google is filtering all of these pages with spam.

On the other hand, Google also warns that the fight against spam is something they cannot tackle alone as hackers and spammers would find new ways to do it. Therefore, he advises website owners and webmasters to take advantage of all of them possible security measures against this type of action.

Google’s documentation for webmasters offers tips on how to protect yourself and how to use the Google Search Console to spot potential spam problems or to check if a website has been hacked.

Click to rate this entry!
(Votes: 0 Average: 0)
Share!

Leave a Comment