The brain is similar to the universe

They say that every head is a world. And a universe? To. And that is scientifically proven. The brain is similar to the universe. It’s more than a fancy phrase. Some Italian scientists wanted to prove this. They found remarkable findings when studying the neural cell network. They have a certain resemblance to the cosmic network of galaxies in the universe.

According to Italian scientists, the human brain has similarities with the universe.
According to Italian scientists, the human brain has similarities with the universe.
Different … but not so much

Franco Vazza is an astrophysicist at the University of Bologna. Alberto Feletti, neurosurgeon at the University of Verona. Both explored the similarities between these complex and challenging systems. Their results were published in an article in Frontiers in Physics on November 16.

The study suggests interesting conclusions. While there is a significant difference in size between the two networks. In both, however, there are structures that are characterized by similar complexity and self-organization. This was described in detail in the Phys.org portal.

It is known that our brain works thanks to an extensive neural network. It is estimated to be made up of around 69 billion neurons. The observable universe also consists of a cosmic network of at least 100 billion galaxies.

In both systems, only 30% of their masses consist of galaxies and neurons. On the other hand, in both structures 70% of the mass or energy distribution consists of components that seem to play a passive role. Water in the brain and dark energy in the universe. In addition, galaxies and neurons are arranged similarly in both cases. That is, in long filaments or knots between the filaments.

The similarity between the two structures can help us better understand how they work.
The similarity between the two structures can help us better understand how they work.
Compare networks

The properties shared between the two systems were analyzed. A simulation of the galaxy network was compared to sections of the cerebral cortex and cerebellum. The aim of the experiment was to investigate how fluctuations in matter spread on such different scales.

“The distribution of fluctuations within the neural network follows the same course as the distribution of matter in the cosmic network. On a larger scale, of course, from five to 500 million light years, ”Vazza explained.

When calculating the average number of connections in the systems, the scientists found “unexpected degrees of similarity”.

“The connectivity within the two networks will probably develop according to similar physical principles. Despite the obvious difference between the physical forces that regulate galaxies and neurons, ”added Feletti.

The finding that the brain has similarities with the universe redefines our idea of ​​its dynamics. And it shows once that there are many of us in the universe. And in us there is also the universe.

Click to rate this entry!
(Votes: 0 Average: 0)
Share!

Leave a Comment