For the fourth year in a row, the Mediterranean Diet won the gold medal for Best Diet for 2021. It’s delicious, healthy and easy to follow. In addition, it has also been anchored as the “best diet” in certain areas:
- Vegetable. The advantages are manifold and scientifically proven.
- For diabetics
- Lose weight
- Easy to follow as it is the easiest to do
How was the election carried out?
The award was presented by USNews & World Report. It is certainly an important magazine in the United States, founded in 1948. The magazine specializes in health, politics, economics and education.
To evaluate each of the nominated diets, they selected a group of doctors who specialize in different areas. The specialists analyzed the latest research on diets as well as the latest reports from medical journals. The selected specialties are:
- Maintenance allowance.
- Food psychology.
Features of the Mediterranean diet
It is a diet mainly based on the consumption of reduced portions of meat. Therefore vegetables are the protagonists.
Likewise, the fat medium is olive oil, and grains and legumes are added. Finally, at the end of every meal, it is advisable to eat seasonal fruits and drink a glass of red wine a day. The Mediterranean diet is characterized by a list of the main ingredients:
- Olive oil in reduced amounts because it is high in calories. However, it is important to consume it as it offers numerous benefits, helps lower cholesterol, and helps prevent breast cancer.
- Onion and Garlic They improve the taste and are also beneficial for our body.
- Pepper. Provides vitamin C and is an antioxidant.
- Green salad. Provides vitamins A, B and also minerals.
- Carrot. It is digestive and provides vitamin A and beta-carotene.
- Tomato. It’s a powerful antioxidant.
- Vegetables. They are vegetable protein that provides amino acids and fiber.
- Fish. Sardines are preferred because they are high in omega-3 fats.
- Lean white meat because it’s healthier than red meat.
- Grapes and figs. First, the grape is an antioxidant, and finally, the fig provides calcium.
- Cabbage. They are antioxidants and detoxify. Any cooking method can be used for cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, and beets.
- Oranges source of vitamin C. They help eliminate uric acid and facilitate iron absorption.
- Hazelnuts and almonds. They are antioxidants and also provide calcium. They are healthy fats.
- Yogurt. It contains less fat than milk and supports the microbiota of the intestine.
A Mediterranean diet is good for your health
There are scientific studies that confirm these benefits. The ingredients that make up the diet help rejuvenate the brain, reducing the likelihood of suffering from Alzheimer’s. It also prevents depression and increases longevity.
The European Society of Cardiology affirms that the Mediterranean Diet will help lower the mortality of cardiovascular patients. Even healthy people are less likely to have a heart attack.
It favors the maintenance of the bones. In the United States, a study was conducted on a group of women who had already gone through menopause. The mean age of the group was 64 years. The result shows that the Mediterranean diet reduces the chance of a broken bone.