Microsoft has released the final version of Windows 10 2004, the spring release, also known as the Windows 10 May 2019 Update, that is being gradually released to update computers with earlier versions of the system.
Slightly later than expected due to the extension of the test period to limit errors (e.g. a "zero-day" exploit discovered in the last test compilation published for insiders) and certainly due to the COVID pandemic affecting the In Workgroups Microsoft has released a new version of the operating system. It is like the previous ones available free of charge for customers with valid licenses of earlier versions of Windows 10 or even other earlier systems such as Windows 7 in a migration type that still works.
The final version of the system has the version number "2004" and the compilation number the 19041.264. Its base was also used as an RTM version that was delivered to manufacturers for pre-installations on new devices that were released this spring. Both versions contain the latest security patches, the correction of detected errors and this time yes, compared to the previous version Windows 10 1090 (hardly more than a service pack) many new functions.
Install Windows 10 2004
As previously mentioned, the release of the release is gradual like never before to limit the bugs that have burdened previous updates. Gone are the days when Microsoft updated versions with treason and night, and added millions of broken computers. Now, The user has more control over the versionsYou can delay it with a counter and even ignore it completely. The system will only be updated if the version has reached the end of the support period within one and a half years.
The installation options are diverse and in any case it is recommended to create a backup in advance if something goes wrong. The Minimum requirements They will be repeated from the November update and are very reserved, maybe too much … In practice you need a lot more, especially in RAM:
- 1 GB RAM for 32-bit versions, 2 GB RAM for 64-bit versions.
- 32 GB free space.
- 1 GHz (x86) processor with PAE, NX, SSE2 and support for CMPXCHG16b, LAHF / SAHF and PrefetchW.
- 800 x 600 pixel resolution.
- Graphics card with DirectX 9 and WDDM 1.0 support.
- Internet connection for updates.
Method 1 – Windows Update
The step-by-step deployment is checked in the same update tool in the system that is in "Settings> Update and Security> Windows Update". A message indicates whether your device is authorized to receive the update. If so, just follow the instructions. The tool downloads the necessary files and updates the system, storing applications, files, and user data.
If Microsoft has blocked the update on your device for some reasona message similar to the following image is displayed. Theoretically, this indicates an incompatibility that has been identified in the equipment related to a known system failure. However, the reality may be simpler and the update may be offered in a subsequent phase. In fact, this weekend we updated two teams with this hint (force update over the web) with no problem.
Method 2 – Update via the web
Users who don't have the update enabled in Windows Update or who prefer this method can access the Windows 10 web portal to enforce it. Just click the "Update Now" button to download a file that starts the process when it runs.
The assistant checks whether the device is present meets the hardware requirements required.
From there, the operation is identical to that of Windows Update. It will download what you need from the Internet and update the system, storing applications, files and user data.
Method 3 – Use MCT
Another option to install is the media creation tool, the new version of which we expected last week by releasing it before launch. It is used to update the system on which it is installed, or to create external means to update third-party devices or perform reinstallations on compatible devices. If you follow us, you will need to know a process by heart that is repeated in each version of Windows 10 as follows:
– Open the Windows 10 web portal and click on the "Download tool now" button to receive the "MediaCreationTool2004.exe" file. Run it and accept the license terms.
– You will be taken to a screen where you can choose to update the device or create a USB / DVD to install or update another device.
– The first option updates the device in question in the same way as we saw in the previous section. The second option allows you to create a flash drive directly with this tool or download the ISO file for later burning with your favorite tool.
Method 4 – Direct ISO Images
Microsoft offers the download of ISO images of its Windows operating system and its office suite directly from various portals such as TechBench or the TechNet evaluation center. However, you must subscribe to them. You can also use the media creation tool, but if you want Most direct method of downloading ISO images In Windows 10 2004 there is an external developer who has a tool that makes the task easier, and always with official images that have been retrieved from Microsoft servers.
– Go to Heidoc.net and download the Windows ISO Downloader.exe application. It is portable, does not need or install.
– Run the downloaded file, select Windows 10 and the edition you want to download e.g. B. Windows 10 Home / Pro.
– Confirm, choose the language and if you want the 32 or 64 bit version.
In this case we download the image "Windows10_2004_Spanish_x64.iso", which we can use from scratch on any compatible device for updates or installations as soon as we have saved the image with our preferred tool. In Windows, we recommend using Rufus.
Regardless of the method used, you will definitely get the final version of Windows 10 2004, Build 19041.264. Go to Settings> System> Info to check it, and then check for new updates if Microsoft has fixed some of the known bugs or security-related bugs for Windows Defender.
Windows 10 2004, features and news
An important release to confirm whether Microsoft is definitely able to limit errors and provide the expected stability. If the concept of the service pack was restored in the previous version (Windows 10 1909) and the introduction of new functions was restricted, Windows 10 2004 offers a number of new functions in addition to the latest security patches and bug fixes. We remind you of them.
Windows 10 is continuously updated with system updates that include security updates as well as feature updates. We haven't had much control over the latter so far, but with this version we can better manage both optional and driver updates. The new controls are available in the configuration tool> Windows Update> See optional updates. In addition, you can specify the maximum download speed of Windows Update in Microsoft as a percentage of the total bandwidth.
Reinstall from the cloud
A new support option called "Cloud Download" to restore damaged computers or restore systems to a clean copy No need for installation tools Also, do not use local recovery images or partitions. It complements the current "reset" function of the PC and is an interesting option in the event of a serious error that makes access to the device impossible and if we have no other means of restoring the device.
A lot of Linux
Microsoft will release in Windows 10 May 2020. Update the second version of the Linux subsystem for Windows with significant improvements over the original, particularly in terms of performance. A simple compatibility layer is now a full of Linux kernels Run it on a compact virtual machine. After installation, it can be updated like other Windows components of Windows Update.
In the short term, users can use their own custom kernel and connect Linux applications from Windows via localhost and not just via remote IP addresses as before. Microsoft's idea is clear: Linux, yes, but without leaving Windows.
Although Microsoft is offered as a separate application, Microsoft released Windows Terminal 1.0 a few weeks ago, the final application it intends to use Unify command line tools, because you can interact with everyone (Command Prompt, PowerShell, or WSL) through the same interface.
One of the great internal management tools is being expanded and in Windows 10, May 2020 update, we will have some interesting news. The most important thing is to monitor the temperature of the graphics cards. Another change affects the storage units. In this version, they are managed independently for each unit installed in the system, on the SSD or on the hard drives.
The importance of gaming for the dominance of the Windows desktop is clear, as is Microsoft's pursuit of an almost complete integration of the gaming ecosystem, Xbox and PC. The Windows 10 game bar is an example of this. It has been improved with every system update shows the frames per second (FPS) as a novelty accomplished in one game without resorting to third-party tools. You can see it in the floating section of the performance section next to the% CPU, GPU and RAM consumption.
Applications after restart
Windows catches up with other UNIX-like operating systems that can remember which applications were running before a computer was shut down Start automatically at the next start From the same. Windows also has an autostart feature, but it's limited to apps that you manually add to this list. The new function is different and automatically restarts applications when it is started after it has been activated in the Settings> Accounts> Login options tool.
Bloatware can continue to roam freely in Windows 10 2004 with a number of really exaggerated installed applications. In addition to the usual Windows applications and services, Microsoft added many universal applications for the modern user interface in Windows 10, in addition to third-party applications and games that have nothing to do with what we think is necessary for the operation of the operating system.
Microsoft hasn't listened to users and Windows 10 is still full of it Junk, unnecessary or unwanted softwareBut at least and as a novelty, it enables the uninstallation of some applications such as Paint, Notepad and WordPad. It should be like this with everyone. Since a clean system is not offered and an optional installation is offered if these cannot be uninstalled.
Virtual desktops have been added in Windows 10. Not because they were not used in Windows in the past, but because Microsoft first provided this function natively for the system and integrated it as part of the system by default. ready for use. So far, however, they have not been able to be renamed. Windows 10 May 2020 update solves the problem and allows you to put custom names in the task view. You can also keep settings between restarts.
Microsoft continues with the task Free your digital assistant of the operating system once its minimum usage has been verified and surpassed by others like Alexa. Removed from the taskbar, the behavior is now closer to a chat application and the window allows you to resize and move around on your desktop. Microsoft has thrown in the towel with the old Cortana, and it remains to be seen whether changing the focus on an assistant to increase productivity works. Everything points to being integrated into Microsoft 365 applications.
Microsoft has introduced a new algorithm that detects high disk usage and activity to improve the management of search indexing services and to address performance issues related to excessive disk and processor usage that were found in previous releases. Some features have also been added, and searches can now correct spelling mistakes. Quick searches help find information online. The user interface has also been improved.
The side of Network status of application frame It has been redesigned and offers a greater amount of information. You can immediately view all active connections and access their properties and data usage.
What's new in Windows 10 2004?
- New features in DirectX 12, DirectX Raytracing Tier 1.1, Mesh Shader and Sampler Feedback.
- PIN authentication in Windows Hello can now be done in secure system mode.
- Connect network cameras to a Windows 10 PC so that pictures and videos can be taken with the system camera application.
- Improved pairing experience with compatible Bluetooth devices from the same notification area.
- New experience in tablet mode for 2-in-1 devices.
- Added more Japanese emoticons or Kaomoji.
- Now you can add the mouse pointer speed in the settings.
- The notebook can be updated in the Microsoft Store.
- Improvement of the calculator app, now it can be fixed so that it lies over the other windows of the application.
- Log on to computers with Microsoft accounts without a password.
- In safe mode you can now authenticate yourself with your Windows Hello PIN.
- Improved notification settings
- Account picture changes in Windows. The updated image will now quickly appear on Windows, apps, and many Microsoft websites.
- Improvements in language settings, now better organized.
- Greater consistency of searches in File Explorer.
- Updates in the Comment Center.
- Improvements in the Windows sandbox, accessibility through the support of microphones and the one for configuration files, with which some aspects of the restricted environment can be configured, e.g. B. vGPU, networks and shared folders.
- Several accessibility improvements.
Features removed from Windows 10 2004
As with all versions, Microsoft has removed some features from the system and fixed other than inactive development, indicating that they will be removed in later versions. Among other affected applications, we highlight:
- Windows To Go was announced as obsolete in version 1903 and has been completely removed in this version. A shame. We used it a lot.
- Microsoft Edge. The legacy version of Microsoft Edge is no longer being developed. Microsoft relies on Edge Chromium.
- Mobile plans and messaging applications. Both continue to be supported, but are now distributed in different ways. OEMs can include them in Windows images for cellular devices. They are no longer included in the standard version.
- Dynamic discs. This function is no longer being developed. It is completely replaced by Storage rooms in a future version.
- Cortana. Microsoft makes the wizard independent and sees its error as part of the system. However, it has also eliminated some of its previously available skills such as music, connected home, and others.
There are other new features of this Windows 10 2004 that we'll see later, as its base is also used in other products like Xbox, Hololens or whatever IoT. Microsoft will continue to roll out the incremental version, and we expect it to reach a larger group of users on Windows Update. However, you will have seen that there are alternatives to install it now.
On the contrary, exactly what you want is Delay updateIt has never been easier and you can manage it through this internship. Although the version is classified as "stable", there are known bugs and others that can occur. We therefore recommend waiting on production machines for a while until their full stability has been checked.